* A stipend of Rs. 15,000 per month for a maximum period of
* The provision of in-house editing facilities, within Mumbai.
* Reimbursement of actuals of production expenses on the basis of
a pre-approved budget. These expenses are expected to be in the region of Rs. 1.5 lakhs to Rs. 1.75 lakhs, depending on the logistics of the specific project.
In order to be considered for the fellowship applicants are required to provide:
* A detailed curriculum vitae
* Up to two non-returnable samples of work on DVD/VCD.
* An essay outlining the film proposal in not more than 2000
words. This essay should include: a working title for the film,
language, the central theme of the film, approach to the content and
narrative style, possible visual segments.
* A production schedule with a detailed time frame for: research
and script, cinematography, editing to rough cut, editing to final
cut, submission of all material.
* A budget for other production expenses (e.g. travel, field
expenses, payments to other professionals etc.). Please note that the
fellowship does not support any infrastructural costs such as setting
up of an office, buying of equipment, or per diem costs.
* Names and contact details of two referees, preferably from the
field of media, whom we will contact for a reference if needed.
The fellowship is open to all Indian nationals. An early career filmmaker is defined as someone who has completed her/his media education not more than 5 years ago. In case of applicants without a media degree, they should have made not more than 5 documentary or short films already.
Up to two fellowships are available based on the quality of applications.
Short-listed candidates may have to come for an interview in April 2011. Travel for the interview will be reimbursed at the rates of three tier non-AC train fare against valid tickets.
All proposals must be submitted as hard copies and signed by the film maker to:
Centre for Media and Cultural Studies
Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Deonar, Mumbai 400 088, India
Phone:+91 22 2552 5661
For any queries please contact: email@example.com
Last date for receipt of applications : March 31, 2011
Terms of the fellowship:
1. The Fellow will be paid a stipend of Rs. 15,000 per month for a period of five months. This amount will be paid on a monthly basis, by cheque, by the 10th of every month. The Fellow will have to intimate CMCS about when s/he wants to start the fellowship period. It is expected that s/he will complete the project in a continuous period of 5 months.
2. The maximum budgetary allotment for production is Rs. 1,75,000.
3. The Fellow is expected to adhere to the time schedule s/he proposes. Any changes should be notified in advance.
4. The production budget will be disbursed in 3 installments, as follows:
On commencement: Pre-production budget
On approval of shooting script: Production budget
On approval of rough cut: 75 % of the Post production budget
On submission: Last installments
5. On intimation of the award of the fellowship, the Fellow is expected to resubmit the budget and the time schedule to CMCS. The budget should be divided into the 3 stages above. The approved budget will have to be adhered to.
6. In-house editing facilities will be provided at TISS, if required.
7. If the Fellow is from out of station, CMCS may not be in a position to provide accommodation during periods of time when s/he has to be in Mumbai. If possible, CMCS will try to facilitate campus accommodation, for which the Fellow will have to pay. All costs of travel by III AC Train to and from Mumbai etc. should be included in the budget.
8. The Fellow is expected to keep and produce detailed accounts statements, along with all supporting invoices, receipts and vouchers, as per TISS accounting norms. The advance for each stage will have to be settled before the next installment is disbursed.
9. The footage and final film produced will remain with the Digital Archive of the Centre. However, the Fellow might retain a copy of the same, for their personal use. Any use of this material should be with prior intimation to CMCS and due acknowledgement.
10. The film will be distributed by the Centre as a part of its catalogue of productions. The income from the sale of the film will remain with the Centre. The Fellow is also free to distribute the film on his/her own.
11. The Fellow is free to use the material for making other films and to distribute the film to festivals. S/he is expected to intimate the Centre about festivals to which the film has been sent and if any awards have been received for the work. The award money, if any, will be shared as per the terms of the award. If it is for the Director, it will go to the Fellow. Any proportion due to the Producer will go to Tata Institute of Social Sciences.
12. The broadcast distribution rights of the production remain with TISS and any income thereof will be shared with the Fellow in a 50:50 proportion.
13. The fellow will be assigned a guide from within the CMCS faculty. The guide will facilitate the work of the Fellow. S/he is expected to keep in touch with the guide on a regular basis and discuss and share her/his work at every stage (shooting script/ rough edit and final edit), in addition to submitting a monthly progress report. The guide will be supported by a small advisory committee for each project, which will give their suggestions at the shooting script and rough edit stages of the project.
14. The Fellow is expected to submit a monthly progress report to his/her guide, in the last week of every month. Disbursement of the next month’s stipend will be made after receipt of the report.
15. The end credits and opening logo of the film produced will be as per the format provided by CMCS.
16. The Fellow is responsible for the safety and proper use of whatever equipment s/he takes from the Centre.
17. The Fellow is responsible for ensuring that s/he has the requisite permissions to use any available material used in the film, visual or audio. In the case of music composed for the film, s/he should obtain a letter from the composer to this effect and should provide a music cue sheet with details of all music pieces used and their sources.
18. The Fellow is responsible for ensuring that any professionals who have worked for the film are paid as per the budget. TISS carries no liability in this regard.
19. S/he is also responsible for ensuring that s/he has permission from the subjects who appear in the film to use the material relating to them. CMCS, TISS upholds ethical standards of consent and respect of the dignity of the human subjects represented in the film and expects the Fellow to adhere to the same.
20. The Fellow is responsible for completing the project and submitting to CMCS all supporting documents, such as script, music cue sheet, interview transcripts, cue sheets of all tapes, synopsis of film, credits, bio of filmmaker, stills of the film, still of the filmmaker and a press kit according to an agreed format.
21. The final editing of the film has to be done at CMCS and all the recorded material should be brought back to the Centre at the time of finalisation of editing.
22. The final month’s stipend of Rs. 15,000 will be disbursed only after the final completed film and all materials and documents are submitted to CMCS.
23. In the unfortunate and rare case that the guide and the advisory committee feels that the project is deviating considerably from the planned outcome and schedule or is exceeding all allowances of time given for completion, or the Fellow is unable to complete the project, CMCS reserves the right to take back all the recorded material and to get the film completed according to the guide’s advice.
Centre for Media and Cultural Studies
Tata Institute of Social Sciences
VN purav Marg, Deonar, Mumbai 400 088, India
Phone: +91 22 2552 5660 and 5661